The Harold Pinter Theatre
With the curtain-raising on 15th October 1881, this Victorian theatre only underwent six months to construct, and was in the beginning known as the Royal Comedy Theatre, with The Royal being discarded by 1884.
The theatre’s reputation was increased during the First World War when C B Cochran and André Charlot presented their review shows.
Substantial reconstruction took place in the mid-1950’s with the theatre reopening on 14th December, 1955.
One characteristic of this theatre is the use of columns to support the circle seating areas, which signifies that a number of the seats have a slightly restricted view.
The Comedy Theatre was perhaps best known for the role it played in the late 1950s, assisting in overturning stage censorship.
Later productions include the award-winning comedy Steaming, and the fabulous award-winning musical Little Shop of Horrors making its West End debut in 1979, both of which played at The Comedy in the early 1980’s.
The Comedy was named the Harold Pinter Theatre in 2011 after Harold Pinter CH, CBE Playwright, screenwriter, actor, theatre director and poet.
Harold Pinter Theatre
Panton St, London SW1Y 4DN